29 September 2011

Rats, Cats and Toddlers

When I had pet rats this list of Rat Property Laws always amused me:

  1. If I like it, it's mine. 
  2. If I've peed on it, it's mine. 
  3. If I can take it from you, it's mine. 
  4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine. 
  5. If you've got something larger, it's mine. 
  6. If I'm chewing something up, all the pieces are mine. 
  7. If it's in my reach, it's mine. 
  8. If I saw it first, it's mine. 
  9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine. 
  10. If it's broken or it tastes bad, it's yours. 

I was also amused by the fact it had been adapted from a list of toddler/kid property laws and can now appreciate that aspect just a wee bit more.

As I watched Miss Alex destroy a box of tissues last week, it occurred to me that I'd witnessed this before...

Rathenn

Zari

Alex

It is also a well known fact that rats like to gnaw on things.  Teething babies like to gnaw on things.  It hadn't occurred to me that cats also like to gnaw on things until tonight, when I watched Special Cat himself munch on a teething rusk that Alex had thrown across the kitchen (she didn't want it dammit!).

Mazik

Alex

Basil

...Yep.

So there you have it.  Even if you discount the fact that they will all happily play with cat toys too, Rats, Cats and Toddlers are more alike than you'd think.

No comments:

Post a Comment